We’re proud of our role in shaping health care in Maryland. In the past 50 years, we’ve represented hospitals and hospital systems, long-term care facilities, home health and hospice agencies, academic medical centers, continuing care retirement communities, multi-specialty physician groups, and other tax-exempt and for-profit health care organizations.
Our lawyers also serve on a number of health care boards, including Mercy Health Services, Healthcare for the Homeless, and Johns Hopkins Medicine.
We can advise you in all aspects of health law, including:
- Corporate matters and governance;
- Corporate structuring, mergers, affiliations and joint ventures;
- Corporate compliance programs, compliance reviews and investigations, education and training, and representation of clients before governmental agencies, including the HHS Office of Inspector General;
- Hospital and physician relationships, including physician practice acquisitions, recruiting and employment, all in the context of the federal anti-kickback statute, Stark law, and state referral laws;
- Health planning and licensure issues, including certificates of need;
- Privacy issues under federal and state laws, including HIPAA;
- Medical staff matters, including medical staff bylaws and hospital/medical staff relations and disputes;
- Medicare, Medicaid, and payor reimbursement regulations and policies;
- Financing of health facilities, including conventional loans, tax-exempt and taxable bond financing, and tax-exempt and taxable lease financing;
- Tax issues specific to non-profit tax-exempt health care entities;
- Human resource issues in the health care industry;
- Real estate matters; and
- Litigation and risk management.