Ryan Potter practices in the related areas of real estate, land use/zoning, and governmental relations. He advises sophisticated religious and charitable institutions, health care systems, universities, and commercial developers in complex real estate projects, from strategic planning, financing, and acquisition through construction, leasing and disposition. In his active land use practice, Ryan counsels clients on all aspects of zoning law, entitlements, permit approvals, code compliance, and historic preservation regulations. He has assisted the firm’s clients in securing land use approvals for significant real estate projects throughout Baltimore, and he has substantial experience in negotiations and proceedings before administrative and legislative bodies.
In addition, Ryan advises institutions and businesses on a variety of intellectual property matters, including trademark and copyright protection, infringement claims, cyberlaw, and licensing issues.
Ryan is recognized by Chambers USA 2019 and by Best Lawyers in America 2020 as a leading lawyer in real estate in Maryland. He has been recognized in Land Use by Maryland Super Lawyers since 2010.
Civic and Charitable Service
- Next One Up, Chair, Board of Directors (2018 – present)
- Baltimore Development Work Group, Steering Committee (2016 – present)
- The Cathedral Foundation, Audit and Finance Committee (2010 – present)
- Citizens Planning and Housing Association, Board of Governors (2006 – 2015)
- Monsignor O’Dwyer Retreat House, Board of Directors (2003 – 2009)
- St. Thomas More Society, Board of Directors (2006 – 2009)
- Advisory Board to Superintendent of Catholic Schools (2008 – 2009)