Dave Kinkopf is a litigator with extensive experience as lead counsel in disputes involving civil litigation, religious and nonprofit organizations, employment law and land use. He represents entities and individuals in complex discrimination, constitutional, and commercial litigation in federal and state courts. A number of Dave's employment and land use lawsuits resulted in published opinions.
In addition to litigation, Dave advises entities on sensitive risk management as well as strategic and governmental relations issues. He is frequently invited to speak about the unique legal issues that face religious and nonprofit organizations.
A permanent member of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, Dave was appointed by the Chief Judge of the Fourth Circuit to serve as the Maryland representative on the Fourth Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules and Procedures.
In 2007, Dave was named a Knight of the Order of St. Gregory the Great, a papal honor from Pope Benedict XVI, in recognition of his service to the Archdiocese of Baltimore.
He served a clerkship with the Honorable J. Frederick Motz, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland prior to joining the firm.
Dave is a ranked lawyer in the Chambers USA 2018 guide in Litigation, and is recognized by Best Lawyers in America 2018 as one of Maryland's leading litigation lawyers.
Civic and Charitable Service
- Archdiocese of Baltimore Board of Financial Administration (2003 – present)
- Baltimore Equitable Insurance Foundation, Board of Directors (2016 - present)
- Loyola University Maryland, Sellinger School of Business and Management, Board of Sponsors (2013 - present)
- University System of Maryland, Board of Regents (2011 – 2016)
- St. Mary’s Seminary and University, Vice Chair, Board of Trustees (2003 – present)
- Charles Crane Family Foundation, Board of Directors (2013 – present)
- Catholic Community Foundation, Board of Trustees (2004 – present)
- Fourth Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules and Procedures (2009 – 2014)
- Maryland Catholic Conference, Administrative Board (1999 – June 2011)
- Sheppard Pratt Health System and Foundation, Board of Trustees (2001 – June 2011)
- St. Ignatius Loyola Academy, Board of Trustees (2003 – 2009)
- Baltimore City Board of Municipal and Zoning Appeals, Member (2000 – 2005) and President (2002 – 2005)